Thursday, August 25, 2011

Weatherspoon Diagrams

Documenting the experience of a visit to the Weatherspoon Art Museum is important to understanding how we move about the space. This began with a written narrative of the travel sequence of a typical visitor in the museum. 


With a sequence established, I could then represent the experience in diagram form...

 I created a circulation diagram that illustrates the sequence of movement the student makes while going to a certain gallery in Weatherspoon. The size of the circles reflects the scale of the space and therefore the feeling of openness one experiences while circulating through the space.

In my first diagram, I used arrows to show the direction of travel through the museum, the green arrows showing the path toward the main activity (viewing the gallery) and the orange arrows showing the path away from the main activity.

In my second diagram, I used the same method to document the circulation experience but annotated the diagram with Rengel's facets of a circulation system.

In my third attempt, I further clarified the diagram by adding a title and labeling the main spaces of the museum. In this diagram, I showed the circulation path in a more true, organic form in which one would travel in the space. 

In this revision, I used the same method as in diagram 3, but color coded the circulation experience into an entering path, a path for main activities, and a departure path. 

In my final diagram, I refined the line quality and also used rectangles to illustrate connector spaces.


Thumbnail sketches further illustrate the experience of a visit to Weatherspoon.



No comments:

Post a Comment