Thursday, November 4, 2010

Light Precedents & Analysis

The diffused light from Lumicor's recycled glass resin panels reminded me of my fountain light effect because of their reflective quality as well as how the intensity of light varies vertically on the panels which is one of the effects I am trying to achieve. Glass bits could be a possible material.

lumicor.com

I researched ways to use corrugated plastic since that was one of the materials I purchased for this project. This example reminds me of the luminaire we were shown in class. I like that the area between the corrugation lines can vary based on how the plastic is cut, as seen below. The intensity of light is also seen to vary in this picture which is necessary for my project, so corrugated plastic as a material is still in the running.
grassrootsmodern.com

I considered using pleats as a way to translate the light effect of a fountain. These fixtures from Artemide diffuse light very beautifully and achieve a water ripple effect. I could use a technique similar to this with thicker vellum.

www.artemide.us

This wall light by Alesina Design was very similar to what I wanted to achieve with my luminaire. The ripple effect of the cut paper is very much like my light phenomenon, but perhaps I could find a more successful light effect for my project by projecting the light effect onto a wall in the opposite way that these fixtures.

Alesina Design also makes luminaires out of plastic drinking straws, which I thought to use to create my lighting effect. I thought these were interesting:

www.alesinadesign.com


Drinking straw lights from another company, Padlab.
www.padlab.com

No comments:

Post a Comment